The Tivoli Theatre Foundation in Chattanooga, TN, is looking for a Technical Director (TD) to assist the Production Manager (PM), in planning, implementing, overseeing operation of, protecting and maintaining the Tivoli Theatre Foundations technical assets in all venues. TD will manage and oversee various internal and external technical departments such as, but not limited to, lighting, audio, video, props, and special effects. The TD will also continuously update and refine each respective venues’ Technical Packet and drawings. Responsibilities will also include serving as manager/liaison with IATSE and external vendors.
Days/Hours: Variable schedule including daytime, evening, weekend, and holiday hours as needed.
Position Type: Full-Time
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Assist Production Manager with advancing the production requirements for 150+ events annually.
· Maintain effective communication with touring production managers to execute show requirements.
· In conjunction with PM and Event Managers, work with event clients to facilitate performance requirements.
· Schedule and prepare appropriate resources, staff, and vendors to support all events.
· Promote, monitor, and manage excellent customer service from all technical staff.
· Maintain good working relationship with vendors/other organizations that provide services to the theatre.
· Serve as key technical liaison between the theatre and hosted/presented artists.
· Oversee all aspects of load-in, performance and load-out for all events.
· Supervise the setup, operation, and restoration of lighting, sound, video, rigging, and stage systems for rehearsals, performances, movies, and special events.
· Maintain all theatre systems and equipment including projection system.
· Purchase, stock and organize storage of theatre consumables, equipment, and supplies.Administrative
· Assist Production Manager with the maintenance and organization of show files for all events.
· Keep accurate records for tracking event expenses and invoicing.
· Report to PM and/or accounting dept all credit card receipts, vendor invoices, and other financial records.
· Review and submit all theatre and vendor staff timesheets.
· Attend various staff and administrative meetings.
· Develop, supervise, train, and evaluate a list of qualified in-house and on-call technicians to staff events.
· Schedule technical crews to meet the needs of all events and venues.
· Develop and maintain internship program with local organizations with audio/technical theatre courses.
· Train and supervise touring or visiting technicians on equipment and systems as required.
· Assist Production Manager to maintain a safe theatre environment for performers, crew, and audience.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES
· Excellent project management skills and strong communication skills
· The ability to assess, prioritize, and drive multiple productions at the same time
· Ability to collaborate and be a team player
· Ability to manage small, short-term teams
· Excellent technical skills in at least three of the following areas:
Sound design/sound technician
Lighting design/master electrician
Scenic design/set construction
· Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, VectorWorks, QLab, and other industry standard programs
QUALITIES & PERSONALITY
· Attention to detail and accuracy while working on multiple projects and tasks
· Ability to work efficiently and calmly in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to re-prioritize tasks as they arise
· Collaborative, eager to learn new ways of working, service oriented, and highly self-motivated
· Inspired to learn from and with leadership and to support leadership’s ongoing growth and learning
· Highly organized and self-motivated
· Energetic, enthusiastic, and sees projects to completion
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· A Bachelor’s degree is not required, but we are looking for someone with a strong theatre background and equivalent experience of such a degree.
· 4 years of full-time technical theatre work or equivalent as freelancer
· 3 years of experience in technical direction or equivalent
· Tracking and managing production budgets and expenses
· Some management experience
· Position involves tasks that may be considered physically demanding. Heavy lifting, working on catwalks, ladders and lifts and working with electrical equipment are common requirements.
· Position requires many evening/weekend hours including additional hours beyond a standard work week.
· Must be able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug screening and background check.
FULL-TIME BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES
· Eligibility to participate in Group Health, Vision, & Dental Insurance Plans.
· Employer Provided Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Group Term Life, and AD&D Insurance.
· Eligibility to participate in Retirement Plan, including Employer Match Program.
· Paid Time Off including Vacation, Sick, and Holidays.
To apply please send email to HR@tivolichattanooga.com.
Please include resume, three references, and cover letter describing qualifications, history, and why you are interested in the position. No phone calls, please.